A basic rule of thumb is - if it is specifically made for golf then it will be acceptable. Clothing must be clean and smart, respect the traditions of SAOL and not cause offence to Members or Guests.
In The Clubhhouse
- Tailored trousers or knee length shorts are acceptable; the definition of ‘tailored’ is that the garment must have a fly (button or zip) and belt hoop. Shorts are not permitted in the Dining Room after 8pm (Gentlemen only).
- Jeans (smart, clean, not faded or torn) worn with collared shirt or golf shirt are allowed in the Clubhouse until 6.00pm and thereafter only in the Bar or Markland Room.
- Shirts should have a collar (unless a turtle neck designed for golf) and be tucked in, unless specifically designed to be worn outside a belt.
- Tracksuits, cargo/combat pants, t-shirts, football shirts and shirts with large logos or slogans are not allowed unless the “Relaxed Casual Dress Code” is permitted at specific social/private functions.
Clean shoes must be worn in the clubhouse at all times (gentlemen must wear socks):
- Golf shoes with metal or soft spikes are not permitted except in the Markland room when accessed via the outside stairs (summer season only). All golf shoes must be cleaned using the shoe cleaning system before entering the Markland Room.
- Dimple sole golf shoes are permitted as per the fourth point below. If these have been worn on the course, they must be cleaned as above.
- Sandals are permitted until 6.00pm and must be worn with sports socks (gentlemen only).
- Smart, clean, casual shoe wear may be worn in the Clubhouse until 6.00pm and thereafter only in the Bar or Markland Room (Juniors under the age of 16 are excluded from the 6.00pm restriction).
On The Course
- The wearing on the course of denim, jeans and tee shirts are all prohibited unless approved for a family golf day.
- Recognised golfing attire including turtle neck shirts and tailored shorts and sports socks specifically made for golf.
- Shirts should not be worn outside trousers, unless designed for that purpose. Shirts must have a collar.
- Shoes should be specifically designed for golf.
- Should any doubt exist, reference should be made to The Professional or Secretary’s Office.
Click here to view a downloadable/printable copy of the Club's Dress Code.